Denise L. Sanders
Ms. Sanders has focused her practice in the areas of healthcare regulatory, transactional and operational matters for more than 20 years. She has extensive experience advising physicians and other healthcare providers on the multitude of regulatory and compliance requirements affecting healthcare delivery, including practice management issues; licensure and professional board matters; state and federal self-referral, anti-kickback, and fraud and abuse; electronic health records; telemedicine; collaboration agreements; and government and private payor relations. Her representative clients include individual practitioners, group practices, surgical practices, ambulatory surgery centers, ambulatory care facilities, and providers in the area of urgent care, post-acute care, home care, long-term care, and wellness.
Ms. Sanders has extensively advised healthcare providers and vendors on requirements of HIPAA Privacy and Security and federal and state Data Breach Notification rules. She authors the Data Privacy & Security Blog, and also advises public and private entities and businesses of all types regarding compliance with federal and state data breach and identity theft laws.
Before entering private practice, Ms. Sanders served in the New Jersey Department of the Public Advocate and was a licensed social worker prior to joining the legal profession. She is a frequent lecturer and author on health law issues and privacy, security and data breach compliance and response.
- Represents physician and physician groups in practice transactions.
- Advises ambulatory care facilities and urgent care providers on licensure, certification, and compliance requirements.
- Represents medical practices and facilities in data breach response and negotiations with the Office for Civil Rights.
- Advises businesses and individuals on state and federal privacy, security and data breach issues.
- Conducts compliance audits of medical practices and ambulatory care facilities, including Stark Law compliance.
- Represents post-acute care providers in ancillary services arrangements.
Honors and Awards
- Recognized as one of South Jersey Biz “Women to Watch 2017” as published in their February 2017 issue, page 33
- Recognized as one of South Jersey’s “Top Attorneys” as published by SJ Magazine
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Southern New Jersey Development Council (Health Care Committee)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Burlington County Bar Association
- New Jersey Cybersecurity & Communications Integration Cell
- “Telemedicine Update 2017 – NJ Standards and Practice Risks,” Asian Indian Professionals, Inc., June 2017.
- “HIPAA Update,” Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants, June 2017
- “Is Your Medical Office HIPAA — and Patient — Friendly? (A Practical Approach),” webinar, March 2017
- “Cybercrime: Facts, Threats and Countermeasures,” Avasek IT Consulting, December 2016
- “Cybercrime: Facts, Threats, and Countermeasures: Protecting your critical data | Security for legal, medical, and financial industries,” a panel discussion, Rowan University, December 2016
- “Hot Topics in Healthcare Law: Working with Non-Physician Practitioners,” breakfast monthly breakfast seminar series for clients and friends, October 2016
- “Hot Topics in Healthcare Law: Jump-Start Your HIPAA Compliance,” breakfast monthly breakfast seminar series for clients and friends, September 2016
- “Personal Information at Risk- Legal Concerns with Data Breach and Identity Theft,” Camden County Women’s Health Conference, April 2016