John H. Geaney
Executive Committee Member
Mr. Geaney’s practice involves representation of employers, self-insured companies, third party administrators, and insurance carriers in workers’ compensation, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and Family and Medical Leave Act. He also conducts training sessions on workers’ compensation, ADA, and FMLA issues.
Mr. Geaney authors the New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Blog, which was named a LexisNexis Top Blog for Workers’ Compensation and Workplace Issues for 2016, and Geaney’s New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Manual for Practitioners, Adjusters, and Employers.
A frequent seminar moderator and presenter, Mr. Geaney travels the State of New Jersey extensively, speaking on a diverse range of topics spanning the breadth of workers’ compensation law.
- Garden State JIF
- Central Jersey JIF (Workers’ Compensation Litigation Coordinator)
- Eric North JIF
- Gem Ambulance
Honors and Awards
- Named to the list of “Super Lawyers” as voted by his peers and facilitated by Law & Politics and New Jersey Monthly
- Recognized as one of South Jersey’s “Top Attorneys” as published by SJ Magazine
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Workers’ Compensation Law Attorney
- Friends of MEND, Inc., Board of Directors, Trustee & Vice President
- Kids Chance of New Jersey, Board of Directors, Secretary
- The ADA, FMLA and Workers’ Comp – A Careful Approach Can Control Costs, New Jersey Municipalities, March, 2013
- Geaney’s New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Manual for Practitioners, Adjusters, and Employers, co-distributed with the New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013 Editions
- Medical Expense Landmines: Clearing the Workers-Comp Benefit Highway, InRe: TRIAL LAW insert in New Jersey Lawyer, April, 2007
- Five Absence Management Protocols for Workers’ Compensation Injuries in New Jersey, Government Finance Officers’ Association of New Jersey Report, April, 2007
- Guide to Employment Issues under the ADA and FMLA for Practitioners and Employers, co-distributed with the New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 2004 and 2006 Editions
- “New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Law For Physicians,” in-house Hackensack/Meridian Occupational Health, June 2017.
- “The Mysterious New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Rate Chart,” in-house Garden State Municipal Joint Insurance Fund, June 2017.
- “Issues Facing Adjusters In Workers’ Compensation,” Trends In Occupational Disease Claims In New Jersey,” New Jersey Workers’ Comp Overview For Comp Professionals,” and Key Defenses In NJ Workers’ Compensation,” in-house York Risk Services Group, Inc., June 2017.
- “The Neurosurgeon’s View of Workers’ Comp,” Webinar, June 2017.
- “New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Law For Physicians,” UCOG, May 2017.
- “Cases on Major/Minor Deviations And Idiopathic Claims – A Panel Discussion,” New Jersey Self Insurers’ Association, May 2017.
- “Cost Savings And Recent Cases In NJ Workers’ Comp And The Interaction Among Workers’ Comp, ADA And FMLA,” HRA of Southern New Jersey, April 2017.
- “New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Law for Physicians,” in-house Hackensack University Medical Center, April 2017.
- “Problem Issues In Workers’ Comp And How To Solve Them,” “Panel Discussion: How Companies Are Managing Challenges To Their Comp Programs” and “Panel Discussion: Terminating Workers On Workers’ Comp While Avoiding A Civil Suit,” Millennium Seminars, April 2017
- “New Jersey Workers’ Comp Overview For Comp Professionals,” and “ADA and FMLA,” in-house Conti Corporation, March 2017
- “Hot Topics In Workers’ Compensation,” in-house CCMSI, February 2017
- “Workers’ Compensation Issues,” in-house York Risk Services, January 2017
- “Issues Facing Adjusters In Workers’ Compensation,” in-house AmTrust North America, January 2017
- “New Jersey Workers’ Comp Overview for Comp Professionals,” in-house Sedgwick CMS, January 2017
- “New Jersey Workers’ Comp Overview for Comp Professionals,” in-house AmTrust North America, November 2016
- “Section 40 Liens,” in-house AmTrust North America, November 2016
- “Getting Even Better: Taking Your Workers’ Compensation Program To The Next Level,” a panel discussion, The Advanced Spine Center, October 2016
- “An Update On Recent New Jersey Case Law and Legislation,” PMA Companies, September 2016
- “Frequently Asked Questions By School Boards,” Arthur J. Gallagher, September 2016
- “Panel Discussion- Workers’ Comp Shoulder and Knee Injuries,” Orthopaedic Institute of Central Jersey, September 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Burlington County Bar Association, Chair, Workers’ Compensation Section (2005-2007)
- Central Jersey Joint Insurance Fund and Garden State Municipal Joint Insurance Fund (Workers’ Compensation Litigation Coordinator), Consultant Services
- Fellow of the College of Workers’ Compensation Lawyers
- Friends of MEND, Inc., Board of Directors (Trustee, 2004-present)
- National Council for Self-Insurers
- National Workers’ Compensation Defense Network, New Jersey designee
- New Jersey Self Insurers Association, Membership and Program Committees
- Larson’s National Workers’ Comp Advisory Board, Member