Capehart Scatchard’s Workers’ Compensation Department has one of the largest workers’ compensation practices in the State of New Jersey with regular court lists in every venue of the State. Our compensation lawyers have established a fine reputation for aggressive claims handling. We regularly counsel clients, including our corporate clients, in the proper handling of work-related injuries prior to the inception of litigation. Should litigation become necessary, we have broad experience in litigating matters at the trial level as well as appeals before the Appellate Division and New Jersey Supreme Court.
As part of our client relations program, we regularly update our clients in workers’ compensation, ADA and FMLA issues, and other related matters with periodic newsletters and blogs written by firm attorneys in these fields. We provide on-site seminars as well as access to our computer and research network.
- Second Injury Fund cases and total disability claims
- Catastrophic claims, including cases involving paraplegia and quadriplegia where home modifications and accessible vans were required
- Dependency claims
- Fraudulent claims
- Medicare Secondary Payer
- Occupational claims
- Psychiatric claims
- Traumatic accident claims
Representative Client List
Our workers’ compensation attorneys represent numerous and very diverse public and private entities including municipalities, boards of education, insurance carriers, third party administrators, and self-insured companies in the defense of workers’ compensation matters. Some of our representative clients include:
- E. I. duPont de Nemours & Co., Inc.
- Holman Enterprises
- Bed Bath & Beyond
- National Freight
- International Paper
- Sears Holdings
- United Airlines
- Atlantic Health System
- Bergen Regional Medical Center
- Holy Redeemer Hospital
- Meridian Health System
- Saint Luke’s Hospital
- Saint Peter’s Hospital
- RWJ Barnabas Health
Insurance Companies and Third Party Administrators
- AIU Claim Services
- Berkley Risk Managers
- D&H Alternative Risk Solutions
- Gallagher Bassett
- Inservco Insurance Services
- Liberty Mutual Insurance Company
- PMA Insurance Company and Management Corporation
- Sedgwick Claims Services
- 120 New Jersey school boards including Northeast Bergen School Pool, PIP Pool
- Mercer County
- New Brunswick Board of Education
- Numerous municipal Joint Insurance Funds
- Numerous New Jersey municipal authorities in Burlington, Camden, and Monmouth Counties.
- Rutgers University
Firm Experience and Highlights
The Department boasts six lawyers who have been named Certified Workers’ Compensation Lawyers as designated by the New Jersey Supreme Court, and four lawyers who are Fellows of the College of Workers’ Compensation Lawyers.
The Department has published a number of articles on various subjects listed below. Also, the Department features Geaney’s New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Manual for Practitioners, Adjusters, and Employers.
- “Geaney’s New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Manual for Attorneys, Adjusters, Physicians, and Employers,” a bound book co-distributed by the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education. Updated every two years.