- Chair(s) Yasmeen S. Khaleel
- Office Locations New Jersey, Pennsylvania
Capehart Scatchard’s Business and Tax practice handles all types of matters arising in the operation of businesses. The practice attorneys engage in direct corporate work and are supported by the Firm’s Real Estate, Tax, and Public Finance Practices. We serve as general counsel to numerous small and large companies in the South Jersey area.
As general business counsel to a variety of clients representing a myriad of industries, Capehart Scatchard’s business attorneys provide a wide range of legal services to its clients. We often attend Board meetings either on a regular basis or upon request, to provide counsel and assistance to management regarding corporate governance as well as pending or pressing matters.
A significant portion of our work is transactional in nature, including the preparation and negotiation of contracts, such as employment, sales representative, consulting, non-competition and independent contractor agreements. We handle intra-company agreements and other documents used in governing business succession and the orderly transition of companies, such as shareholder, partnership and operating agreements.
Additionally, we assist in the negotiation, documentation and completion of all types of mergers and acquisitions, and transfers of business interests through purchases or sales. We have broad experience in assisting clients in their transactions with banks, governmental entities, and other lending institutions by reviewing loan documentation requested by lenders to consummate the loans.
Capehart Scatchard’s tax lawyers provide comprehensive services covering all aspects of federal, state and multi‑state, and local taxation for businesses, corporations, partnership, sole proprietorship as well as for individual clients and non‑profit organizations. We have a fine-tuned knowledge for handling traditional tax services relating to mergers and acquisitions, shareholder agreements, financing, executive compensation as well as disputes involving Federal Income Tax, estate taxes, and state and local taxes. We also advise individuals in tax planning and long-term planning issues at both the federal and state levels. Clients know they can depend on Capehart Scatchard’s proven ability to apply the business of the law to their situation.
The Department boasts a number of experienced business attorneys – two of whom have been practicing business law for more than 30 years, and one of whom is a former managing shareholder of the Firm.
We have a broad knowledge of organizing new businesses, whether proprietorship, corporations, limited liability companies, general partnerships, limited partnerships and the like, providing in each case an appropriate business and tax structure. We often give advice on the state of formation and the capitalization of the entity to accomplish the client’s business objectives.
Some of our representative matters include:
- Represent clients in the incorporation process, taking into consideration where the corporation should be incorporated, how it should be capitalized, what classes of securities it should issue and what agreements are necessary for internal operations (such as stockholders agreements, voting trust agreements, employment agreements, stock option agreements and a variety of deferred compensation arrangements).
- Assist businesses in formation, contract drafting, shareholder agreements and disputes that may arise between business owners/partners/shareholders.
- Handle transactions in connection with mergers and acquisitions in the manufacturing, chemical, automotive, glass, construction, communication, wholesale distribution, and credit reporting industries;
- Advise corporate clients in connection with the pros and cons of joint ventures, licensing and other strategic alliances;
- Work with non-profit organizations on tax-exempt financings;
- Counsel Boards and other special committees.