- Chair(s) Prudence M. Higbee & John H. Geaney
- Office Locations New Jersey
Capehart Scatchard’s Workers’ Compensation Department has one of the largest workers’ compensation practices in the State of New Jersey with regular court lists in every venue of the State. Our compensation lawyers have established a fine reputation for aggressive claims handling. We regularly counsel clients, including our corporate clients, in the proper handling of work-related injuries prior to the inception of litigation. Should litigation become necessary, we have broad experience in litigating matters at the trial level as well as appeals before the Appellate Division and New Jersey Supreme Court.
The Department boasts three lawyers who have been named Certified Workers’ Compensation Lawyers as designated by the New Jersey Supreme Court and three lawyers who are Fellows of the College of Workers’ Compensation Lawyers.
The Department has published a number of articles on various subjects listed below. Also, the Department features John H. Geaney’s New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Manual for Attorneys, Physicians, Adjusters and Employers.
As a service to our clients, we offer on-site seminars and weekly blogs covering the New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Family and Medical Leave Act.
Some of the Representative Matters we have handled include:
- Catastrophic claims, including cases involving paraplegia and quadriplegia where home modifications and accessible vans were required
- Dependency claims
- Fraudulent claims
- Medicare Secondary Payer
- Medicare Set-Asides and Conditional Payments
- New Jersey Medicaid Liens
- Occupational cases
- Psychiatric claims
- Second Injury Fund cases and total disability claims
- Traumatic accident claims
- Bed Bath & Beyond
- E.I. duPont de Nemours & Co., Inc.
- Holman Enterprises
- International Paper
- National Freight
- Sears Holdings
- United Airlines
- Atlantic Health System
- Bergen Regional Medical Center
- Holy Redeemer Hospital
- Meridian Health System
- RWJBarnabas Health
- Luke’s Hospital
- St. Peter’s Hospital
- AIU Claim Services
- Berkley Risk Managers
- D&H Alternative Risk Solutions
- Gallagher Bassett
- Inservco Insurance Services
- Liberty Mutual Insurance Company
- PMA Insurance Company and Management Corporation
- Sedgwick Claims Services
- 120 New Jersey school boards including Northeast Bergen School Pool, PIP Pool, Burlington County Insurance Pool Joint Insurance Fund, Gloucester, Cumberland, Salem Insurance Pool, School Board Pool, Statewide JIF, PMMJIF and Burlington County JIF
- Rutgers University
- Delaware River Port Authority, New Jersey Transit and New Jersey Turnpike Authority
- Burlington, Cumberland, Essex, Gloucester, Mercer, Monmouth and Salem Counties
- Teaneck Township, Village of Ridgewood, Manalapan Board of Education, Gloucester Township, Gloucester Board of Education, Pennsauken Board of Education, Franklin (Somerset) Board of Education, New Brunswick Board of Education, Brick Board of Education, Freehold Board of Education, Montclair Board of Education and Passaic Board of Education
- State of New Jersey
- New Jersey Department of Corrections
- New Jersey State Police
A bound book co-distributed by the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education. Updated every two years.
As part of our client relations program, we regularly update our clients in workers’ compensation, ADA and FMLA issues and other related matters with periodic newsletters and blogs written by firm attorneys in these fields. We provide on-site seminars on key decisions as well as access to our computer and research network.